Planet Desk | 12 September 2019 | 9:27 pm
There are lots of words in English which have got multiple meanings and usages. One of them is ‘leave’ used mainly as a verb. But also sometimes used as a noun. This word has got so many meanings that once you know them, you will get surprised. Today in 2nd lesson, the rest of meanings and uses of ‘leave’ as a verb have been discussed :
H. Leave means wait (to do something or for something to happen). Leave something means ‘wait till the moment you do it’. See the examples :
1. I will leave the work till Monday. (means wait up to the day and then will do it.
2. The boss has left the matter till the last moment. (means he waited up to the last minute to take a decision on the matter).
3. Please don’t leave the matter. (Means do not wait to solve or settle the matter, do it now).
4. Don’t leave anything for tomorrow. (means do it now, do not wait for another time.)
5. We left booking our holiday till the last minute.
I. Leave means ‘end relationship’ and stop living with someone. See the examples :
1. His new girlfriend has left him just after two months in a relationship.
2. Our boss’s first wife left him for a young handsome man.
J. Leave means ‘give responsibility for something to someone else’. In details, it means ‘allow someone to make a choice or decision on something or make someone responsible for something. See the examples :
1. Please leave the matter to or with me.
2. I am leaving the issue to you. (meaning you see it and find a solution).
3. My maternal grandfather left all his wealth to his daughters. (meaning gave the responsibility of his properties to his daughters).
4. We have left the matter to luck (Meaning we have no plans. So just wait & see what happens with it).
5. We have left all baggage with the receptionist of the hotel upon arriving there.
6. HM Ershad left all his wealth to a fund before his death.
K. Leave means ‘have remaining after someone’s death’. Look at the sentences below :
1. The Prime Minister has left his wife and two children to mourn his death. (wife and two children the PM left behind and they are still alive).
2. The richest man has left huge amount of wealth behind for the members of his family after passing away of himself.
See some other uses :
a. Leave means ‘let (a person or animal) remain in a position to do something without interference. Look at example below :
1. Please leave my son to whatever he likes to do. (meaning allow him to concentrate on his desire).
2. Leave your children to their desires as they are still at tender age.
Attention : If you do like this article, then do not hesitate to share with friends and fellows. Note that the last & final lesson on the uses of ‘leave’ to be followed soon. So do keep browsing https://campusplanet.net.