What Does ‘In Awe of Something or Someone’ Mean : Synonyms, Antonyms, Uses
The Phrase Means 'Having An Overwhelming Amount of Respect Or Admiration For Someone or Something'
First, the word ‘Awe’ means ‘an extreme or great level of feeling or emotion mixed with fear, wonder or respect for something or someone’. So the phrase ‘in awe of something or someone’ means ‘having an overwhelming amount of a respect or admiration for something or someone’.
In other words, it can mean ‘To have an overwhelming amount of respect or admiration for someone or something, sometimes to the point of feeling nervous or fearful around them or it. Look at the sentences below :
- The visitors were in awe of surprise by seeing so many celebrities at the program.
- We were in awe of a number of so beautiful girls at the event. (it means we got surprised by coming across so many beautiful girls).
Awe Synonyms (Similar Words):
There are several synonyms to the word Awe : wonder, wonderment, amazement, astonishment and admiration etc.
Awe Antonyms :
Some synonyms or opposite words to the word ‘Awe’ are contempt, indifference, despise, hate etc.
Some PAAs (People Also Ask) Regarding The Word ‘Awe’ :
What Does Awe Mean?
Meanings as Noun : As a Noun, it means ‘a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder’. Look at the examples below :
- We gazed in awe at the height of the Burj Khalifa on our visit to Dubai.
- The visitors gazed in awe at the small mountain of diamonds.
How do I use ‘I am in awe’?
If you are in awe of someone or if you stand in awe of them, it means that ‘you have a lot of respect for them plus slightly afraid of them. Look at the sentences below :
- Russians in general are in awe of President Vladimir Putin.
- All the staff in the office are in awe of Chief Executive Officer.
- I am in awe of Nelson Mandela even after his passing away.
More Stories for You!
Toilet Turns Human Waste Into Power & Digital Money!
How do you say ‘in awe of someone’?
If you say you are in awe of someone, then it simply means ‘you have great respects for them along with slight fear.
How do you tell if someone is in awe of you?
You can get that signals in several ways such as:
- Being in awe of someone means experiencing an overwhelming feeling of reverence and admiration. You feel overwhelmed by their power and prestige and want to be like them. …
- They never question you.
- They look at you with great respect in their eyes.
I am in awe of your beauty meaning :
The phrase simply means ‘I am just overwhelmed by the dazzling level of beauty or glamour you hold.
Awe-inspiring Meaning :
As an adjective, it means ‘arousing awe through being impressive or formidable’. See the sentence below :
- Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has awe-inspiring beauty.
Several similar words or synonyms to awe-inspiring are breathtaking, amazing, stunning, stupendous, astonishing, awesome.
I am in awe meaning :
When someone says ‘I am in awe (of someone or something), it means ‘he or she has a great amount of respect or admiration for them or it plus a feeling of fear.
Forever in Awe of You Meaning :
If someone says that ‘I am forever in awe of Nelson Mandela’, it simply means that ‘he or she has lots of respect or admiration for Nelson Mandela along with a bit of fear.