Strong command over vocabulary plays an important role in English learning. If you are rich in vocab and know the uses of them, then your learning of English gets easier. In university admission, job recruitment exams and other similar types of tests, there are some questions on vocabulary related. This article surely serves this interest of our target readers.
Meaning : having or showing care and conscientiousness in one’s work or duties.
1. Simply being diligent is not enough nowadays to get success in career.
2. Alongside being diligent, networking is key to success in professional life.
Synonyms : industrious, hard-working, assiduous etc.
Meaning : guaranteed.
1. Simply being diligent isn’t the sure-shot way to climb up the corporate ladder.
2. Coaching does not offer sure-shot path to get enrolled in university.
Meaning : Assign the responsibility for doing something to someone.
1. I have been entrusted with the task of getting him back safely.
2. I have been entrusted the holy duty of serving people as a representative.
Synonyms : give responsibility for, charge, invest, endow assign, hand over, give custody of, etc.
Drive something home (phrasal verb)
Meaning : make something completely clear to someone.
1. Only his speech drove the subject home to all present at the seminar. There did not need any handouts.
2. You have to drive the matter home as it is important for the exam.
Synonyms : explain, elaborate etc.
Meaning : Stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt.
1. His answer to the question is not as explicit as it was expected.
2. Everyone must be explicit in their dealings when it comes to financial issues.
Synonyms : clear, direct, plain, obvious, straightforward, clear-cut, crystal clear, clearly expressed, easily understandable, blunt, more.
Sticking point (noun)
Meaning : an obstacle to progress towards an agreement or goal.
1. Indian Congress party hints that PM post won’t be any sticking point for alliance. (meaning barrier to form the alliance)
2. Safety issues have been a sticking point in the negotiations.
3. Quality of education is the sticking point to overall development.
Synonyms : obstacle, barrier, hindrance etc.
Meaning : breaking or falling apart into small fragments or pieces, especially as part of a process of deterioration.
1. British Labour party denies to have any talks with the country’s PM Theresa May over her crumbling government centring the issue of Brexit.
Synonyms : Broken, weak, fragile etc.
Meaning : say something in a low or barely audible voice, especially in dissatisfaction.
1. He just muttered (say or utter) a few words of apology and then left the place.
2. Why are you muttering in that way? Speak a bit loudly please.
Synonyms : murmur, mumble, whisper, speak in an undertone, talk to oneself etc.
If you like this article then share with friends or classmate. Please visit out platform https://campusplanet.net/ for more related stories. Practice as you know is the key to effective learning. so do so as much as possible. Good luck with your learning effort!