There are some common verbs like ‘have’, take, go, make, do’ which are called Delexical verbs. They are used with certain particular nouns where they have very little meaning of their own. In other words, in these sentence structures, most of the meaning is found in the noun, not in the verb (delexical one). The knowledge and understanding of delexical verbs is very important in learning and having fluency in English as these structures are very common in the language. Remember, little things like delexical verbs play vital role in learning English. In the previous lesson, we discussed about the uses of delexical verb ‘Have’. Today, we have a discussion on another one ‘Take’.
We use ‘take’ with the following cases or situations :
washing: a bath, a shower, a wash
resting: a break, a holiday, a rest
Uses of take concerning the above mentioned cases are shown the sentences :
1. It’s very hot today. I need to take a shower again today.
2. Take a bath immediately as you are looking very exhausted.
3. I need to take a long break from work as I have been working continuously for the last six months.
4. You look tired. You need to take a rest.
‘Take’ is used with the following words as well :
Care, care of, a turn, turns, trouble, the trouble, a chance, a risk, a decision, a photograph etc. See the examples concerning them below :
1. Take a photograph of me in this nice fountain.
2. We took hundreds of photographs on last holiday in Spain.
3. We sometimes take a risk to achieve success in life.
4. We have to take a prompt decision regarding our partnership.
5. Driver, please take a turn to the left.
6. Recently it has taken several new turns in the murder trial of Feni student Nusrat Jahan Rafi.
We also use ‘take’ with some nouns formed from verbs:
1. I think the govt. should take a look at the Barguna Rifat murder case.
2. Let’s take a walk after office today and discuss the matter.
3. They are going to take a swim in the Meghna.
4. Footballers usually take a long bath after match.
Note : If you like this article, then please share with friends and fellows. You can visit our platform for more related articles and other educational items such as study abroad, updates from around the world etc.