Word of The Day : Top of Mind Meaning
Synonyms : Paramount (most important), Cardinal, Chief, Supreme
You can use the word ‘top of mind’ both as an adjective and a phrase. According to Macmillan Dictionary, as an adjective, the word means something is ‘of greatest concern, importance or priority’.
In other words, it means something ‘the first priority’ for someone or ‘foremost in one’s thoughts’. Look at the examples below :
- Economy is the top of mind during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s ongoing tour of the USA.
- When it comes to buying a car, fuel efficiency should be top of mind.
- In terms of running a philanthropic organization, welfare of the people should be top of mind.
- During emergency situations, coming in aid to others should be your top of mind.
- During job interview, demonstrating your all-round capabilities should be top of mind.
As a phrase, the word ‘top of mind’ refers to something that is occupying a person’s thoughts or attention, or is easily recalled from memory. Notably, it is used in marketing to describe the state of being the first brand or product that comes to someone’s mind when thinking about a particular product or service.
Some More Examples With the Word ‘Top of Mind’ :
- We need to ensure sure our brand is top of mind for customers when they think of sportswear.
- Adidas’ latest Twitter campaign is designed to keep their brand top of mind for consumers.
- With high-quality products and excellent customer service, our primary aim is to be top of mind for our target audience.
- The annual gathering of the top executives from the company, held in last December, was a huge success because it was top of mind for attendees, who could not wait more to participate and learn more from their fellows.
- The secret to staying top of mind is to stay engaged with the audience through regular engagements and worthy interactions.
Further Reading For You!
Is There Any Differences Between Ago & Earlier, After & Afterwards?
Is There Any Differences Between Ahead and Prior?
Top of Mind Synonyms :
Some common synonyms for the word ‘top of mind’ include paramount (most important), cardinal, chief, supreme, foremost, prominent, dominant, prevalent, salient etc. See the following examples made with the synonyms :
- Ali Hosseini Khamenei is the current paramount leader of Iran.
- Vladimir Putin is the paramount chief of Russian Federation and its armed forces.
- Ensuring voting rights of the people should be the supreme duty of the Election Commission ahead of the next general elections.
- Generating new employment will surely become the paramount issue in the next general election.
- Passengers safety is paramount to us.
Note : All the synonyms mentioned above are adjective as is demonstrated in the examples.
Details On Some Synonyms for ‘Top of Mind’ :
Foremost : The word means ‘first in rank or importance’, which emphasizes the idea of something being at the forefront of one’s thoughts or attention. Look at the example:
- The safety of the employees is foremost in our minds as we plan for reopening.
Prominent : It means ‘widely known or easily recognizable’, which suggests that something is highly visible or memorable.
See the example below :
- The company’s logo is so prominent that it’s always top of mind for consumers.
Dominant : It refers to ‘exercising control or influence over others’. This word emphasizes the idea of something being in a position of power or authority. Example:
- The company’s goal is to become the dominant player in the market, so we’re always top of mind for customers.
Prevalent : Meaning ‘widespread or common’. This word suggests that something is frequently encountered or widely accepted. Example:
- The issue of mental health is prevalent in our society, so it’s always top of mind for healthcare professionals.
Salient : This word means ‘most noticeable or important’. It suggests that something stands out or is particularly noteworthy. Example :
- The key benefits of our product are so salient that they’re always top of mind for our sales team.
To sum up, the word ‘top of mind’ simply refers to something that is holding the utmost importance or priorities in someone’s thoughts or thinking. Some common synonyms include supreme, foremost, prominent, dominant, prevalent, salient etc.