The word ‘leave’ has multiple meanings and uses in English language. With the word, lots of communication or expressions can be done. So the knowledge of all of them is very important in the process of learning English. Let us try to learn the meanings and uses of it in American English.
A. Leave as a verb means ‘go away’. That means moving away from a place or person temporarily that remains static or in the same state or position. See some examples below :
1. I am leaving city tomorrow for my village home.
2. Do you want to leave the office now?
3. I am planning to leave my family for one week for a planned visit to abroad.
B. Leave means ‘quit a job or a family permanently’. See the examples :
1. I am going to leave my current joy for a better one.
2. When did your father leave his job? In last May.
3. My elder brother has decided to leave the family just after his marriage. (meaning decided not to stay with his parents any more).
C. Leave means ‘let something remain behind in a place or state’ or ‘mistakenly forget to take something with oneself’. Let us some examples :
1. John’s father today has left his moneybag at home while setting out for office.
2. Yesterday my daughter left her school lunch box at home. As a result, I had to drive to the school with the box later.
3. One of our team members had got left due to delay of his arrival at the pre-fixed place.
4. I am going to leave you from the tour if you remain glued to the demands.
D. Leave something means ‘cause it to stay or remain’ in a particular place, state or condition. Look at the sentences below :
1. The guest entered the room with shoes which left some dark marks on the carpet.
2. The boss has left an important message for you.
3. Leave the door open as it is very hot today.
4. We left the fan on or running when set out for cinema last night.
5. The smile of the girl just left us stunned.
E. Leave means ‘make something available. That means ‘an amount or some part of something is left or available after use. See the examples below :
1. We have left 4 apples for you and your team.
2. Please try to leave an amount of the cake for the homeless waiting outside.
3. They did not leave anything for us for lunch yesterday.
4. There are some oranges on the plate. So please leave at least one for me.
F. Leave also means ‘give responsibility of something to someone. Look at the sentences below :
1. We have left all our baggage with the immigration dept. at the airport due to lack of some papers.
2. I am leaving the matter of choosing a gift for our friend’s marriage to you as I have been able to decide on that.
3. My grandfather left all his property to or for his eldest son.
Other meanings and uses of ‘LEAVE’ as a verb :
a. Leave something (left over) means the thing is left unused. See the example :
1. There’s some food left over from the party.
2. Please give all the left overs to the animals.
b. One can ‘leave something somewhere for a specific purpose.’ See the example :
1. I have left class for you on the run.
2. My mother left dinner for you on the stove.
c. If you leave something to someone that means that you have arranged for that person to receive it after you die. Look at the sentences below :
1. My grandfather left all his wealth to his daughters.
d. If you leave an activity involving work that means ‘you wait before you do it’. Look at the examples below :
1. We will leave painting the wall till next month.
2. I will leave reading the novel till the day after tomorrow.
Attention : If you really enjoy reading this article then please share with friends and fellows. This platform have got more articles on English lessons. For more, keep browsing https://campusplanet.net
Comments are closed.