Application Now Open For Kennedy-Lugar YES Scholarship program 2021-’22
The program provides scholarship to high school students to study in the USA for one year period.
Applications are now open for the USA Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program 2021-2022 academic year.
The program, funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), provides scholarship to high school students from countries with significant Muslim populations to study in the USA for one year period.
Students from the following countries or territories are eligible to apply for the scholarship 2021-2022 : Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Egypt, Gaza, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Israel (Arab Communities), Jordan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Malaysia, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, North Macedonia, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Suriname, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, West Bank and Yemen.
Selected candidates for the program will live with a host family, attend an American high school, acquire leadership skills, and engage in activities to learn about U.S. society and values. They also help educate Americans about their respective home countries and cultures.
The YES program is administered in partnership with the U.S. Department of State by a consortium of non-profit organizations led by American Councils for International Education.
And in each individual country, the program is conducted by an independent agency in co-operation with the local U.S. Embassy’s Public Affairs Office.
For example, in Bangladesh, iEARN-BD manages the YES program in partnership with Public Affairs Office at local U.S. Embassy. In the country, the program was officially launched in 2004. Since then, over 385 Bangladeshi students have participated and finished the program and now act as alumni.
Requirements : In keeping with the U.S. Government-sponsored initiatives, the competition for the Youth Exchange and Study scholarship is merit-based and open at no cost to all applicants who meet the following requirements:
1. Be between the ages of 15 – 17 (not a day younger than 15 and not a day older than 17) by the start of program (August 1, 2021).
2. Have a date of birth between August 1, 2004 and August 1, 2006.
3. Be currently enrolled in grade 8, 9, 10 or 11 in high schools or colleges (secondary education institution). Any citizens studying in foreign countries are not eligible to apply.
4. Have the equivalent of a B average or better without failing grades within the last two academic years.
5. Demonstrate sufficient English language ability to speak and to study in English.
6. Have not spent more than a total of 90 days in the U.S. in the past five years.
7. Applicants cannot have any or both parents currently employed by the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Mission.
8. Applicants must not have applied for U.S. immigration through family or relatives.
9. Be a citizen of where the applicant born meaning birth-place and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the U.S or any other country.
10. Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for J-1 visa).
Here to Note : The program can support students with disabilities and encourages their participation. The Department of State and the YES program work with Mobility International (MIUSA) to provide students with disabilities leadership-building workshops, appropriate information and support as needed to enhance their year in America. Students with disabilities must also meet the above eligibility requirements.
Application Link : For further information on the scholarship and way of application, interested students need to visit the link at https://yesprograms.org
To note, for application, there is a USA Embassy partner agency in each individual country which will receive applications from their students.
Like students in Bangladesh will need to use the following link to apply for the program at
Bangladeshi students can also inquire about the program by forwarding e-mail at the address [email protected]
They can contact as well via phone number at 01313-946086. For students in Bangladesh, the deadline to apply is this November 15.
So for any information on the scholarship, one in general can just visit the link at https://yesprograms.org and look for their country specific details.
Comments are closed.